Young Hitchin cancer victim, 9, on fundraising mission
A YOUNG boy who lost his eye after contracting a rare form of eye cancer is on a fundraising mission to raise money for a charity which helps out children like himself.
Nine-year-old Kyle Yeupiksang, from Hitchin, has so far raised more than �1,300 for the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust.
He lost his left eye after being diagnosed with retinoblastoma in both eyes late last year.
But, determined not to let this deter him, he took part in a six-mile night walk in London on Friday.
The Whitehill Junior School pupil completed the Carrots Nightwalk with 11-year-old brother Dylan, mum Mellissa, and other friends and family.
“We are so proud of Kyle,” said Mellissa, who also has a daughter, four-year-old Lola.
“He really wants to help other children who have been through a similar experience to himself, and has amazed us by the amount of sponsorship he’s raised so far.”
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Kyle originally set a fundraising target of �200, but has smashed that, raising more than �1,300.
And Mellissa says that the youngster has been amazingly brave through his ordeal.
“He’s absolutely not been fazed at all,” she added.
“He’s got a lifelong risk of secondary cancer, but he’s just been amazing, so brave.
“Even on holiday, there was a little boy touching his prosthesis, and he was just fine. He just gets on with it.”
To sponsor Kyle, visit www.justgiving.com/Kyles-carrot-nightwalk
You can also text KYLE60, followed by the amount you want to donate (�5, �10, etc) to 70070.