Young Hitchin cancer victim, 9, on fundraising mission
A YOUNG boy who lost his eye after contracting a rare form of eye cancer is on a fundraising mission to raise money for a charity which helps out children like himself.
Nine-year-old Kyle Yeupiksang, from Hitchin, has so far raised more than �1,300 for the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust.
He lost his left eye after being diagnosed with retinoblastoma in both eyes late last year.
But, determined not to let this deter him, he took part in a six-mile night walk in London on Friday.
The Whitehill Junior School pupil completed the Carrots Nightwalk with 11-year-old brother Dylan, mum Mellissa, and other friends and family.
You may also want to watch:
“We are so proud of Kyle,” said Mellissa, who also has a daughter, four-year-old Lola.
“He really wants to help other children who have been through a similar experience to himself, and has amazed us by the amount of sponsorship he’s raised so far.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
Kyle originally set a fundraising target of �200, but has smashed that, raising more than �1,300.
And Mellissa says that the youngster has been amazingly brave through his ordeal.
“He’s absolutely not been fazed at all,” she added.
“He’s got a lifelong risk of secondary cancer, but he’s just been amazing, so brave.
“Even on holiday, there was a little boy touching his prosthesis, and he was just fine. He just gets on with it.”
To sponsor Kyle, visit www.justgiving.com/Kyles-carrot-nightwalk
You can also text KYLE60, followed by the amount you want to donate (�5, �10, etc) to 70070.