Young Canaries get to Wembley
STEVENAGE Boro FC will not be the first football team from Comet country to visit the new Wembley – because Hitchin Town Under-8s did so last weekend. The boys set off in style for the community event to mark the completion of the new stadium on Saturday
STEVENAGE Boro FC will not be the first football team from Comet country to visit the new Wembley - because Hitchin Town Under-8s did so last weekend.
The boys set off in style for the community event to mark the completion of the new stadium on Saturday morning on the Hitchin Town team bus. The team and their parents were among the first to see and try out the facilities and it got the thumbs up from everyone.
Chris Willoughby, the Under-8s manager, said: "It was a fantastic day out and something that everyone will remember for years to come."
The team, who play in the Royston Crow Youth League, watched BBC football pundit and ex-professional footballer Mark Bright score the first goal in the new stadium, and they enjoyed a series of video programmes on the big screen and the celebrity challenge matches on the pitch.
You may also want to watch:
The youngsters even made it back to Hitchin Town's Top Field ground in time for the second half of their match against Banbury, which they lost 2-1.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home