You’ve got a friend
A FRIENDSHIP scheme for vulnerable people has proved to be successful and is expanding in North Herts and Stevenage. New volunteers are needed to befriend people recovering from mental health problems and take them out in the community for social activiti
A FRIENDSHIP scheme for vulnerable people has proved to be successful and is expanding in North Herts and Stevenage.
New volunteers are needed to befriend people recovering from mental health problems and take them out in the community for social activities.
Organisers want to hear from those who have two to three hours a week to spare and enjoy working with people.
They can also provide college placements for people on a range of health, social care and counselling courses.
You may also want to watch:
Outings can include shopping and coffee, a country walk, swimming, visiting the cinema or theatre, or going to a local place of interest such as a country house or garden.
Many people living in Comet country have already benefited from the scheme.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
Manager Alison Kingman said: "Having a special friend to share an interest or just as a listening ear can help people on their road to recovery. We do not ask for any qualifications. We need people who are sociable, enthusiastic, reliable and committed, and who want to help."
The friendship scheme is run by the Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Trust.
It offers out of pocket expenses, full preparation and support for befriending and a varied social programme for volunteers and their friends including a summer barbecue, quiz nights, ten pin bowling and a Christmas meal.
If you could be a friend, ring 01462 680120 or 01438 317220 for an information pack, or email firstname.lastname@example.org