Yes, I can! Tomboy is aiming to claim Hertfordshire beauty crown with help from a metal dress
- Credit: Archant
A self-confessed tomboy is aiming to wow beauty pageant judges with a tin can dress and raise cash for charity at the same time as she claims a county title.
Lauren Wood has made it through to the finals of Miss Hertfordshire, which will be held at the Ibis Hotel in Stevenage on Sunday, April 26.
Each contestant will wear three dresses on the night including an eco-dress – and Lauren has decided to make hers out of metal.
“I got a load of used cans and flattened them out to make metal leaves for the dress,” she said. “It’s quite an original category so I hope it goes down well.”
The competition also involves fundraising for charity Beauty With A Purpose and Lauren, 22, has decided to host a number of activities including knitting blankets for homeless people to generate money.
You may also want to watch:
The qualified mechanical engineer who works at MBDA in Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, said: “Knitting has always been a big thing for me.
“It’s something productive and might not be as fun as skydiving but it’ll probably help people a lot more.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
Lauren, her family and friends are inviting people to help them knit 14cm granny squares which will be sewn together to make blankets before she donates them to a local homeless shelter during an knitathon at her offices on Saturday.
She is asking people to either donate per square – there are 96 in a blanket – per blanket or just make an overall donation.
Lauren admits that before applying she never dreamed of entering a beauty competition and isn’t your typical candidate.
“I entered as a dare,” she said. “I much prefer steel toe-capped boots and jeans to pretty dresses and high heels.
“I decided to join after watching a documentary with my sister about Miss Black Country.
“She dared me to enter Miss Hertfordshire which I did and I managed to get through. Now I’m in it I want to do the best I can and hopefully raise some money for a good cause.”
For more and to donate visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com and search for Lauren Wood.