Wycombe Wanderers v Stevenage preview
Stevenage are looking to extend their unbeaten league run to 11 games
Season so far
Wycombe have kept just one clean sheet in the league all season, a stat which goes some way to explaining why Gary Waddock’s side are struggling near the foot of the League 1 table.
Like fellow promoted side Chesterfield, Wanderers have struggled to make a successful step-up from League 2 after winning promotion last season but they do have goals in them. Stuart Beavon has seven league goals to his name so far this season and Marcello Trotta six.
Of the four sides which were promoted from League 2 last season – Chesterfield, Bury and Wycombe being the others – Boro have performed the best in League 1, and they continue to get better. They sit in the play-off places, have the second best defensive record in the league and their front men are now starting to purr. It is surely only a matter of time before clubs higher up the league structure start circling for the signature of manager Graham Westley.
Wycombe have picked up seven points from their last nine with the club showing they are finally coming to terms with League 1 football, but they still need to shore things up at the back.
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 6 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
Boro are currently on a run of 10 league games without a defeat. A sturdy defence combined with goals coming from all quarters has seen Boro go unbeaten since October 8.
Wycombe will be without the suspended Stuart Lewis, who has picked up five yellow cards this season, while Martin Rowlands’ loan period has expired and cannot be renewed until January 1. Either Ben Harding or John Hallis is likely to partner Matt Bloomfield in the centre of midfield.
John Mousinho will miss the return to his former club as the midfielder is still out of action through a metatarsal injury. Joel Byrom is likely to keep his place in midfield after impressing alongside Michael Bostwick at Colchester United earlier this week.
Unless there are any injuries to the XI who started at Colchester on Monday Graham Westley is expected to keep with the team that won that match 6-1, although Luke Freeman could be pushing for a return to the starting line-up after impressing after coming off the bench in that win.
Referee: Robert Madley.