Writer from Stevenage is published at long last
A mother of four has proved an inspiration to others by her determination to succeed, not only by climbing the career ladder after motherhood, but finding the time to publish her first novel.
Catherine Marsh, 45, from Broadwater Crescent in Stevenage brought up three children alone after going through a bitter divorce.
In order to keep a roof over her head she worked long hours, taking various jobs, including cleaning and a paper round.
After meeting her second husband and having her fourth child, she decided to return to college to further her education.
Catherine took a course in office skills and found work as a trainee secretary at a solicitor’s. After a year she decided to go back to studying, which she fitted in around a full time job, and in 2009 Catherine qualified as a property lawyer. She now runs her own caseload at Susan Hall & Company in Hitchin.
You may also want to watch:
During this time Catherine began to write short stories. After numerous rejections she had her first novel Silent Secrets published in July. Catherine said: “The story is based on the relationship between a father and son and the lies they tell each other which have deadly consequences.
“I have been trying to become a published author for the past 25 years. It’s always been a passion of mine and what I really wanted to do.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
Friend Carol Woolston said: “She is an inspiration to all those mums out there who feel they cannot achieve their goals after having a family.
“Just look at what Catherine has accomplished.”
Catherine was in Hitchin last weekend and will be at Waterstone’s in Stevenage town centre today (Saturday) from 11am to 3pm to sign copies of her book.