Workshops to hit the right notes
A TEACHER is hoping to bring music to the ears of children by providing free workshops to schools. Rebecca Leek is head of classics at St Francis College in Letchworth GC, and wants to increase children s knowledge of music through story-telling, creative
A TEACHER is hoping to bring music to the ears of children by providing free workshops to schools.
Rebecca Leek is head of classics at St Francis College in Letchworth GC, and wants to increase children's knowledge of music through story-telling, creative writing, art and drama.
She said: "I have seen there is a lack of resources for children and it's a shame there aren't more opportunities for kids.
She added: "In a sense we are all bereft of a good arts education, even those whose families can afford lessons and instruments.
You may also want to watch:
"The curriculum in schools stands in the way of meaningful creative projects.
"We have completely lost sight of the aim of the game - to provide good education - since we have our hands tied by government guidelines and targets."
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years
The project Miss Leek is heading is called Rhapsode.
She said: "Rhapsode is particularly interested in a cross-arts approach, aiming to break down the delineation that has crept into the curriculum in schools."
Miss Leek hopes to fund the workshops by putting on a series of concerts, asking musicians to volunteer their time for free.
For more information about forthcoming events, to volunteer or to make a donation, email email@example.com