Work starts on Debenhams’ Stevenage store
- Credit: Archant
Work started this week on building a Debenhams department store in the Roaring Meg Shopping and Retail Park.
Stevenage Borough Council granted planning permission for the store at the park in Great North Road last year.
It will be over two floors and cover just under 100,000 square feet, including a mezzanine cafe.
The works are due to take around two years to complete and it is estimated that the new store will create 200 new jobs and bring valuable business into Stevenage.
In addition to the building work, the area will be landscaped and a new bus stop will be installed from which a shuttle bus will run between the retail park and the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a central space that will be available for community groups to use to hold events.
Throughout its construction the rest of the shops in the park will be running as normal.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal