Woman benefits cheat from Letchworth ordered to pay over �2,500 by court
A Letchworth GC woman has been ordered to pay over �2,500 after claiming housing and council tax benefits she was not entitled to Deborah Swale of Ridge Avenue, Letchworth GC, pleaded guilty before Stevenage Magistrates Court this week after failing to no
A Letchworth GC woman has been ordered to pay over �2,500 after claiming housing and council tax benefits she was not entitled to
Deborah Swale of Ridge Avenue, Letchworth GC, pleaded guilty before Stevenage Magistrates Court this week after failing to notify North Herts District Council (NHDC) of a change in her circumstances which meant she had over-claimed benefits.
Miss Swale was a given a fine of �280 together with a �15 victim surcharge. A further amount of �624.47 in respect of the Legal costs incurred was also awarded to the council.
Miss Swale will also have to repay the overpaid benefits in the sum of �1,638.55. The case was brought by NHDC's advocate Yvette Roberts
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Terry Hone, NHDC's portfolio holder for finance, said: "We take benefit fraud extremely seriously, and this case should serve as a warning that North Herts District Council will always act promptly to catch and prosecute offenders.
"Don't be tempted to keep quiet if your circumstances change. It simply isn't worth it.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket