Woman, 25, dies in fatal A1(M) crash at Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
A WOMAN has died after a collision on the A1(M) during the early hours of this morning (Friday).
A 25-year-old woman is believed to have been walking along the southbound carriageway between junction 8 and 7 for Stevenage shortly after midnight when she collided with a blue Vauxhall Corsa.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The motorway was subsequently closed in both directions, before reopening at about 4.45am.
Police have now launched a witness appeal and investigating officer Sgt Richard Cruse has urged motorists to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Sadly a young woman has lost her life as a result of this collision. I would urge anyone who may have been travelling southbound on the A1(M) past Stevenage prior to, or shortly after midnight who may have any information at all to get in touch with us.
“Any information, no matter how small or insignificant you may think it could be, would greatly assist us.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 9 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Bob Hauxwell on non-emergency number 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the woman’s family at this tragic time.
We were alerted at 0.40am to a pedestrian in collision with a vehicle and we dispatched an ambulance, a response car and a duty officer to the scene. Shortly after our arrival the woman was pronounced dead by paramedics.”