Woman, 18, attacked while walking between Hitchin and Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old woman walking between Hitchin and Letchworth escaped after fighting off an attacker in the early hours of this morning – and police have now appealed for witnesses.
The assault happened between 2.30am and 3am this morning, when the victim was walking along the A505 Cambridge Road past Wyvale Garden Centre, near where the two towns meet.
She was approached from across the road by an older man who pushed her to a nearby bench and assaulted her.
The teenager managed to fight the man off and ran down the road, where passers-by came to her aid. She was not injured.
The attacker is described as a white man with slightly tanned skin, aged in his 40s.
You may also want to watch:
He is about 6ft tall, with dark short hair that was slightly swept back. He wore a grey turtleneck jumper and ripped wash-faded jeans.
Det Con Kate Marshall, who is investigating, said: “I am appealing for anyone who saw the incident or witnessed a man walking along in the area around the time stated to get in touch, as you may have information that could assist our investigation.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Anyone with information should contact DC Marshall on 101, quoting crime reference G1/17/3264.
Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will not go to court.