Complaints mount after recent allegations of anti-social behaviour in Hitchin
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
Hitchin’s Windmill Hill has become the centre of attention this week, after residents complained of alleged anti-social behaviour and littering in the area.
North Hertfordshire District Council and community police officers have all been contacted by residents, with some complaining about a rise in anti-social behaviour, noise and littering on Windmill Hill since Monday.
But many are split on what has happened recently at Windmill Hill – with some lambasting the perceived lack of action by police, while others praised a group who cleaned up the area.
NHDC Cllr Sam Collins said: “People need to understand that the hill is next to quite a lot of people’s homes.
“Many of those who live there accept that people gather there in evenings, but the levels of noise and litter are currently unacceptable.
You may also want to watch:
“Residents are understandably fed up of those selfish individuals who ignore the fact that they are disturbing lots of people.
“If people were congregating in small groups, not being loud and taking home their litter I don’t think there would be any issue. But what’s going on now is just unacceptable.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
One Walsworth Road resident says the noise has been insufferable in recent days, and says they have found used needles, broken trees and human excrement in the nearby Windmill Hill Woods.
“For the last four or five nights there has been excessive noise, music and shouting up until about 2am on the Hill.
“It’s so bad that we have to have our windows closed, and they’re rattling because of the noise. I have two young kids and it’s not fair on them.
“In Windmill Hill Woods, we’ve found human excrement, old needles and other used drug stuff. We want to see some action taken on this.”
But, other residents argued that so long as people tidied up after their visit, they had no issues with the groups that congregate on Windmill Hill.
James Duncan said: “As long as they clean up after themselves and young people are safe I don’t see an issue, it’s not like they have anywhere else to go.”
Harriet May added: “Personally, I like seeing people enjoying themselves there and not everyone has gardens! Yes they should go home when the sun goes down and pick up their rubbish.”
Herts police have been contacted for comment.