Radwell Meadows home to Wind in the Willows characters
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
A new Wind in the Willows-themed installation has been put in place in Radwell Meadows on the Garden City Greenway.
The display features favourite characters from the children’s story – including Ratty, Mr Toad, Badger and Mole – all built from willow and other natural materials.
The pieces for the installation were created by Sylvan Skills, who is based in England’s north east and specialists in willow and greenwood art pieces for community-based projects and art exhibitions.
The installation also includes other key features from the novel, including Ratty’s boat and Mr Toad’s car, both large enough for visitors to be able to sit inside.
Environment manager for the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation Elizabeth Towler said: “We wanted to create something special on the Greenway and give walkers, cyclists and other visitors to the Radwell Meadows something quite unique to enjoy on their visit.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re very happy with how the project worked out and hope that guests enjoy the new additions as much as we do.”
The works were not only designed to be made from natural materials, but also to be durable and permanent.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
The Foundation’s landscaping team will be looking after the sculptures and ensuring they continue to look great in all seasons.
To find out more about the Garden City Greenway, pick up a copy of the Greenway map from our Tourist Information Centre on Station Road in Letchworth, or visit www.greenway.org.uk.