Wilson targets first team return after reserve run out

LAWRIE Wilson is targeting a return to the Boro first team before the end of the season after making his return from injury during last night s reserve team game with Ipswich Town, Wilson, who has been out of action since breaking his leg against Rushden

LAWRIE Wilson is targeting a return to the Boro first team before the end of the season after making his return from injury during last night's reserve team game with Ipswich Town,

Wilson, who has been out of action since breaking his leg against Rushden & Diamonds in August, played 76 minutes of the 2-1 defeat and looked in good shape.

"It was good, it was nice to put a shirt on again, go out and play and put myself about," Wilson told The Comet afterwards.

"I set goals personally to try and do things and that's a little goal I've set to try and play in a few games before the end of the season.

You may also want to watch:

"It's a good thing that we're at the top of the league and they haven't missed me as such but it's a team thing," he continued.

"I'm getting myself fit and hopefully I can play a few games before the end of the season and help the team go up."

Most Read

Wilson was philosophical about the injury and says he hopes to return to the fantastic form he was in prior to the injury.

"These injuries happen to people," he said. "It's unfortunate it happened at a time when I was doing well but hopefully I can get back to playing how I was before it happened.

"I'm fit now, the thing is the longer you play in games the more the little niggles come in so I've just got to take my time and see what happens from there."

Wilson's return was the one bright spot on a bad night for Boro with Peter Vincenti and Charlie Griffin both leaving the field on a stretcher within minutes of each other, with Griffin in particular looking in real discomfort.

Boro had actually started on the front foot, enjoying the majority of the possession.

Darren Murphy burst from midfield to link with youngster David Greene creating some space for Lee Boylan but his effort was deflected behind by an Ipswich defender.

Ipswich should have taken the lead when Ronan Murray robbed Eddie Odhiambo and the laid the ball back to Jamie Griffiths, but although the midfielder's effort beat Bayes, Vincenti stuck out a boot to clear off the line.

The Tractor Boys picked up the pace after this and Reggie Lambe went close to opening the scoring, after twisting and turning to lose Vincenti but he dragged his shot across the face of the goal and wide of Bayes' far post.

A great piece of play from Odhiambo nearly should have resulted in a Boro a goal. The midfielder slid in to intercept a pass midway inside the Ipswich half and he hit a glorious cross into the danger zone but Boylan couldn't get a touch and Griffin's header failed to test the goalkeeper.

The midfielder then swung in a deep corner that was met by Murphy whose goalbound header was blocked, the ball came out to Greene who hit a sweet left foot volley but that too was blocked. From that move a mix up between Odhiambo and Ali Birri allowed the visitors to break, the move ending with Jack Ainsley's curled shot beating Bayes but hitting the top of the crossbar.

Vincenti was taken off with an ankle injury and physio Paul Dando was still inside treating the former Millwall man when Griffin picked up an injury stretching to send Boylan clear. Griffin, who was attended to by the Ipswich physio, also left the field on a stretcher.

Boro didn't let this double blow set them back though and continued to take the game to their visitors. Wilson did well down the right and sent in a teasing cross but Greene lifted his effort over the bar but the last action of the half saw Albrighton throwing himself in front of Murray's effort after the Ipswich striker reacted quickest to a bouncing ball in the Boro box.

Ipswich started much the brighter of the two sides after the interval and Murray was involved again this time slipping the ball out left to Griffiths whose ball into the box was very nearly converted by Lambe.

A well hit free kick from former Boro loanee Ed Upson had Bayes diving across his goal but the shot drifted wide of the goal.

A moment of sloppiness from Boro gifted Ipswich a glorious opportunity but Lambe fired well over Bayes' goal from Upson's cut back.

Ipswich's pressure eventually told though and they opened the scoring in the 59th minute. Upson waltzed through the Boro defence and although Bayes produced a great save to deny him, Lambe was on hand to fire home from the rebound.

Boro hit back within a minute though when Tom Eastman misjudged Bayes' long kick forward and Boylan kept his cool to slot past Arran Lee-Barrett.

Ipswich kept pushing for a winner though and they were rewarded 12 minutes from time when midfielder Upson fired home a shot from outside the box.

Substitute Ryan Mattos hit a speculative effort from 25 yards that Lee-Barrett palmed out but that was as close as Boro came to claiming a point.

Boro: Bayes; Wilson (Mattos 76), Vincenti (Mabbett 34), Albrighton, Birri; Odhiambo, Moss, Murphy, Greene; Griffin (Powell 39), Boylan.

Subs: Ulor, Crowley.

Ipswich: Lee-Barrett; Brown, Eastman, Balkenstein, Ainsley; Brandon (Clark 71), Upson, Hyam, Griffiths (Dunbar 61); Murray (Lavery 88), Lamb.

Subs: McLoughlin, Yao.

Referee: W. Atkins.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter