‘Williams will score scruffier penalties’ says Sheringham
- Credit: Archant
Boro boss has sympathy with his striker following Scott Flinders’ penalty save from Brett Williams
Teddy Sheringham says Brett Williams will score ‘scruffier’ penalties in his career than the one that was saved against York City today.
The striker stepped up for the spot kick following a foul on Dipo Akinyemi with just under 10 minutes to go, and coming up against Scott Flinders fired low and hard into the bottom right corner.
The goalkeeper, however, guessed correctly, stretched out his arm and was able to stop the penalty from hitting the net.
Afterwards, Sheringham said: “It’s not the worst penalty I’ve ever seen. He’ll probably score scruffier penalties.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s one of those, the goalkeeper picked the right way. Unless you’re very clever and watch the way the goalkeeper goes and dink it the other way, but not everyone can do that. I certainly couldn’t do that.
“If the goalkeeper picks the right way and goes slightly early he’s going to save it. He hit it with good pace and it’s one of those things.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round