Williams pleased to open his account for Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Striker says Boro deserved all three points against Hartlepool United
Brett Williams says it’s a ‘fantastic feeling’ to open his account for Stevenage.
The striker fired home Boro’s second goal in their 2-0 win over an in-form Hartlepool United side at the weekend, the club’s first win of the season.
His goal came in the 88th minute and just moments after Dean Wells had thrown his body in front of a Rakesh Bingham shot to keep the score at 1-0, and afterwards Williams says his team-mate does that to him in training all of the time.
“It was a vital block. The thing is, him and [Mark] Hughes do that day in day out in training. The amount of shots they’ve blocked of mine off the line in training. It’s frustrating,” Williams joked.
You may also want to watch:
“But that’s their job, and they’re good at it.
“We had to dig in deep and it was a great three points, a great clean sheet and I’m glad I got my first goal for the club.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
“We battled well and won the battle with Hartlepool because they’re known for that [as a] battling team and I think we were better.”
Speaking about the moment he scored his first Boro goal, Williams added: [Chris] Whelpdale has got a flick on for me, a great flick on.
“I’ve read it, got there before the keeper and I’ve just lobbed him.
“Whelps says to me ‘get off me and get on your toes if I’m going to win it’ and he’s done exactly that and put me in for the goal. Fantastic. For a striker it’s very important to get the first goal, to get off the mark.”