WI dancers surprise Stevenage with flash mob antics
- Credit: Archant
Women’s Institute members took a belt and braces approach in characteristic style when they decided to put on a flash mob dance in Stevenage town centre to promote the popular women’s association.
25 ladies from the Hertfordshire Federation of Women’s Institutes walked innocently around Town Square before suddenly congregating at the town clock as the first bars of Sisters are Doing it for Themselves began to blast from the speakers.
The flash dance was part of a week-long sports drive to help the ladies get fit.
Hertfordshire members also took part in carpet bowls, Zumba, ballroom dancing, power hooping and walking, amongst other activities. during the packed week.
Jill Profit who is the county chairman, said: “We did various sporting events throughout the week.
You may also want to watch:
“It was suggested a flash mob would be something different for the WI to do.
“It was really great. People clapped and cheered.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“We are a traditional organisation obviously and often we are viewed as Jam and Jerusalem, but this was a nice opportunity to show that we can embrace change as well.”