‘Why just Christmas, why not all year round?’ – Potton and Biggleswade action group Community Spirit to seek formal charity status
- Credit: Archant
An action group that entertained children in hospital, gave supplies to the homeless and sang with the elderly over Christmas has decided to continue the community spirit all year round.
Tracy Dorrington, a drama teacher from Potton, started the Feel Good Factor group last October with the words: “Too much misery in the world and it only takes people like you and me to change it.”
Now the group is set to take a big step forward by applying for charitable status. Dozens of volunteers came on board giving out 65 care packages to homeless people, also offering them haircuts in the back of a van, and donating leftovers from the packages to hostels as far away as Hitchin.
The group adopted the new name Community Spirit around New Year – and Tracy this week called for volunteers to come forward to sit on the committee. She said: “I thought, why just Christmas? Why not pull out all the stops all through the year?
“I thought if I set up a proper registered charity, firstly more people would see it as something real, and secondly it might open up some more possibilities for us to help people in the community.
You may also want to watch:
“We think everywhere needs a little more community spirit – so the goal is to try to engage with more people in every area to set up and generate that kind of spirit, everwhere in the UK.”
Tracy said the committee was set to hold its first meeting at some point in the next couple of weeks.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell
If you’re interested in getting involved, you can send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find ‘Feel Good Factor – Make a Difference’ on Facebook.