What’s in a name?
THOMAS and Emily are top of the tots for baby names in Stevenage and North Herts. For the second year running, Thomas was the most popular name for baby boys registered at Stevenage Register office in 2006. Emily knocked 2005 s most popular girls name, L
THOMAS and Emily are top of the tots for baby names in Stevenage and North Herts.
For the second year running, Thomas was the most popular name for baby boys registered at Stevenage Register office in 2006.
Emily knocked 2005's most popular girls' name, Lily, off the top spot but Lily remains a favourite among new parents in the area, coming in third behind Amy/Aimee.
Jessica and Grace made up the rest of the girls' top five and Thomas was followed in the rankings by Jack, Charlie, Samuel and Callum.
You may also want to watch:
Nationally the favourite girls' name was Olivia, which came in at number 15 in Stevenage and North Herts. The favourite boy's name in the country was Stevenage and North Herts' number two, Jack.
Some of the more unusual names registered in Stevenage in 2006 included Bethia, Storm, Mernly, Chenai, Ethylyn, Rothia, Jevan, Bibi and Sydelle for girls, and Draven, Uriah, Finty, Travis, Juno, Cayden, Oakley, Axel-Reno and Jenson for boys.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
"Choosing the right name for your new baby is an important decision for new parents and, as a parent myself, I know how much thought goes into it," said county councillor Keith Emsall, executive member for the registration service.
Hertfordshire County Council offers a civil naming ceremony at its register offices, for parents who do not want a religious ceremony. For more information, visit www.hertsdirect.org and click on 'registrars'.
o Has your baby got an unusual name? Tell us the story behind his or her moniker. Email editori firstname.lastname@example.org, write to The Comet, Bank House, Primett Road, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 3EE, or log on to www.the