What did you call me?
TOP of the tots in Stevenage and North Herts last year were Lily and Thomas. They were the favourite names for babies born in the registration district in 2005. After Lily, the most popular girls names were Isabel, Emily, Caitlin and Madison, so the nati
TOP of the tots in Stevenage and North Herts last year were Lily and Thomas.
They were the favourite names for babies born in the registration district in 2005.
After Lily, the most popular girls' names were Isabel, Emily, Caitlin and Madison, so the national favourite, Jessica, did not make it into the local top five.
With Thomas topping the list of boys' names locally, Oliver was in second place ahead of William, Jack - the national favourite - and Jamie.
You may also want to watch:
But some parents spurned conventional monikers and went for the ultra unusual.
Among the names recorded for girls during 2005 were Lanesra (Arsenal backwards), Fairie and Wish.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
One baby boy was named Zeb Star Ice, and there was also a Carn and a Tintin.
"As a parent myself I know just how much thought goes into choosing a name for a new baby," said county councillor David Lloyd, executive member with responsibility for the registration service.
"Whether they call their baby after a relative, friend or celebrity, opt for a conventional name or choose something completely different, naming their child is a very special occasion for parents."
He added: "We're finding that civil naming ceremonies are becoming an increasingly popular way for Hertfordshire parents to make the occasion even more special. Last year our registrars conducted more than 70 naming ceremonies."
Contact details for Hertfordshire's register offices and further information about arranging civil ceremonies can be found on www.hertsdirect.org
Nationally, the top five boys' names, in order of popularity, were Jack, Joshua, Thomas, James and Oliver. Those for girls were Jessica, Emily, Sophie, Olivia and Chloe.