What a whopper
A SUNFLOWER seed planted by accident has shot up to near record breaking heights.
The seed was planted by 10-year-old Chelsea Wilkinson while she was feeding the birds at her grandparent’s house in Arlesey.
Anita Rawlings, her grandmother, said: “My granddaughter was round and it’s all down to her.
“She was feeding the birds for me but she chucked a couple of seeds on to the bird feeder.
“I had the hump when she did it but then it grew and grew like a triffid.”
The sunflower currently stands at 13ft – 1ft 7ins from the British record.
Mrs Rawlings said: “You have got to see it to believe it, everyone who walks past it say they have never seen a sunflower like it!”
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
- 10 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
If you have a giant plant then The Comet would like to hear from you.
*Contact us on 01438 866200 or on email@example.com