Westley’s praise for Saturday’s opponents Coventry City
- Credit: Kevin Coleman
Stevenage boss Graham Westley is aware that the league table doesn’t tell the full story ahead of his side’s clash with Coventry City on Saturday.
The Sky Blues sit a place and a point below Stevenage in the Sky Bet League One table, but were hit with a 10 point deduction prior to the season starting.
“They’ve had a very good start to the season,” said Westley.
“They’re below us in the table but only because of their points deduction, they’ve produced some good performances.”
The two clubs first met last term, with Stevenage winning 2-1 at the Ricoh Arena and City securing a 3-1 success on Boxing Day in Stevenage.
Coventry began this season well with their strikers regularly on target, Callum Wilson has already netted nine goals with strike partner Leon Clarke bagging five times.
After losing just one of their opening seven games, the Midlands side have hit the buffers slightly, losing their last two to Brentford and Port Vale respectively.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 3 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 6 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 7 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 8 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 9 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 10 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
Manager Westley is though under no illusions about the quality of the side that Coventry boss Steven Pressley will bring for the trip south to the Lamex.
“I’ve seen them twice and they’ve got some terrific players,” he said.
“They’ve been playing very, very well. They’re a very progressive side, good with the ball, some real threats so they’re a handful no question about that, certainly a top side not a bottom side.”