Westley expects tough Ipswich test
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss hopes pre-season experiences against Watford, Leeds and QPR will spur his side on
Graham Westley hopes that pre-season matches against Championship sides will hold his team in good stead ahead of this evening’s Capital One Cup tie against Ipswich Town.
Boro, who lost 4-3 at home to Oldham Athletic in the League 1 opener on Saturday, will be hoping to post their first win of the new football season against Mick McCarthy’s men.
Boro will be without striker Dani Lopez, who is suspended, while midfielder Jimmy Smith and defender Ben Chorley are likely to miss out as both recover from injury.
Speaking ahead of the match, Westley said: “Of course it’ll be a big test. They’re a Championship level side.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had Watford and Leeds down here and we know the types of problems those sides bring. They’re not at their level for no reason.
“It’ll be a test, but it’s a great opportunity for us as well. We took a QPR XI on [in pre-season] and we beat them so we showed some of what it takes to perform against sides at that level.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright