Westley coy on Preston link
Boro boss refuses to give anything away amid speculation
STEVENAGE manager Graham Westley refused to confirm or deny reports he has spoken to Preston North End about the vacant manager’s job.
Many bookmakers have placed Westley as favourite to take the job at Deepdale, and despite acknowledging this, the Boro boss was quick to label reports as rumours, and insisted his focus is solely on Saturday’s FA Cup third round clash at Reading.
“Yes, as I believe,” responded Westley when told he is favourite with many bookmakers to become the next Lilywhites boss.
“I was the favourite for the Watford job not so long ago and it is credit to everybody at a football club of this size when you have your name linked to clubs of huge stature.
“The players have worked so wonderfully hard and won a lot of matches which is why those links develop. [But] we’ve got the FA Cup to think about, I think that’s where everybody’s focus needs to go – you don’t want anybody getting distracted.
“I read last week that Lawrie Wilson is moving to Leeds United. I believe Michael Bostwick will move somewhere before anyone moves anywhere.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 6 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 7 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 8 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 9 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 10 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
“But you know what; we’re all focused on winning the next game, that’s all we ever do, and I think these distractions that people throw in are not really for us to talk about. We need to keep our mind on the job, because the only way you win games is to stay focused.”