Westley calls on Stevenage players to work miracles against Preston
- Credit: Archant
STEVENAGE will need to work miracles in order get something out of this weekend’s trip to Preston North End, according to boss Graham Westley.
On Saturday Westley takes his Boro charges to the club he managed for 13 months before being sacked in February.
While Preston have been able to bolster their ranks over the summer, bringing in the likes of ex-Premier League and England striker Kevin Davies, Stevenage have been trying to move players on before bringing in new faces.
This week Stevenage have been down to as few as 14 fit players as they prepare to face the Deepdale side, who are unbeaten in six Sky Bet League 1 games.
When comparing the two clubs, Westley said: “Our circumstances are at the opposite end of the equation, while they’re signing England internationals up there we’re down to 14 fit players and that’s not easy I can tell you.
You may also want to watch:
“This morning we had one goalkeeper and one centre-half out there, so it’s difficult and frankly we all know that going up there and getting anything at the weekend will be a miracle.
“It’s a miracle that we have got to try and work, but when you play a side that has invested heavily and probably has got more strength and money on its bench and in the stands than we have in the entire squad it shows the size of the entire challenge.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed