‘Were you in the bar, did you see them leaving?’ – Hitchin stabbing followed fight at nightspot between two men thought to know each other
- Credit: Archant
A stabbing in Hitchin on Friday night happened after a standoff in a bar between two men thought to know each other – and police have now issued a further appeal for witnesses.
Detectives said the altercation initially broke out at The Venue in Bancroft at about 11.55pm, with the two men then asked to leave. They went their separate ways.
They then became involved in a fight at about 2am on Saturday morning in Fishponds Road, near the junction with Bunyan Road – which led to one of the men, aged in his 30s, to sustain stab wounds police initially called life-threatening.
He was rushed to hospital with injuries that are now described as ‘likely to be life-changing’. He remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition.
The other man ran off after the fight, with a knife recovered near the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Police believe the two men are known to each other. So far no arrests have been made.
Det Insp Lynda Coates, who leads the North Herts local crime unit, said: “We are working hard to find the person responsible for this crime. The victim has suffered serious injuries which are likely to have a life-changing impact on him.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
“I am appealing to anyone who was in The Venue around the time the men became initially involved in the altercation and witnessed anything to please get in contact. Perhaps you were in the premises at the time, or you saw the men leaving the pub?
“I’m also keen to speak to anyone who witnessed the physical fight in Fishponds Road – or the events leading up to it.
“Did you see a man running from the scene after the other man was stabbed – do you know him or could you describe him?
“Any information you have, no matter how seemingly insignificant, could prove to be crucial to our investigations.”
Anyone with information should contact police on 101, quoting crime reference number G1/16/2670.
Alternatively you can give information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or using their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org.