WEEK THREE: Support continues to grow for Luton Airport campaign
SUPPORT is growing for the Comet’s campaign asking the owners of Luton Airport to sit up and listen to people’s views.
The Comet launched the campaign last month, and have had dozens of letters and emails in support.
Sue Boughton said: “I am horrified to find that the airport is proposing to increase passenger numbers so I support your campaign wholeheartedly.
“I have filled in the consultation questionnaire, but doubt that anyone will take any notice.”
John Mead, who lives in Stevenage, also got in touch with his views on the Luton Airport expansion.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I attended the consultation at Stevenage Leisure Centre, to be told that the expected number of flights are expected to increase by a minimum of 55 per cent.
“What this means during the peak periods equates to 35 flights per hour and longer peak periods in the morning and evening time, more noise and pollution for Stevenage.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
“When I moved to the town 40 years ago, the airport was mainly used by light aircraft with the very occasional large airline flying over the town. Now I can sit in my garden in the morning and have aircraft overhead every two or three minutes. Surely enough is enough.”
The campaign has also drawn support from those outside of Comet country.
Helena Cotter, who lives under the flightpath in Luton South, said: “The noise here is dreadful - the aircraft have crept closer and lower to our homes over that last couple of years.
“I am emailing to add my support to your campaign from over the border here in Luton.
“This expansion, in my opinion, is not needed, is unaffordable and is going to create so much more day and night noise and pollution.
“Many of us living here for not support the expansion plans.”