Warnings issued for strong winds in Herts and Beds
- Credit: Archant
A yellow weather warning is in place for strong winds in Herts and Beds this morning – with motorists urged to be wary of fallen trees and debris on the roads.
It has been in place since just before 3am and will remain until 9am – the gusts of between 50mph and 75mph are expected to ease from mid morning.
According to the Met Office: “Very strong winds will affect parts of the UK early on Thursday.
“The strongest winds are expected to transfer eastwards across the warning area, before clearing by mid-morning.
“Road, rail and ferry services may be affected, with longer journey times and cancellations. There is also a possibility that some bridges may close. Power cuts may occur, and there is the potential for other services, such as mobile phone coverage, to be affected. Injuries and danger to life from flying debris are possible, along with some damage to buildings.”
You may also want to watch:
The ambulance service have tweeted: “The weather is causing fallen trees in our region. With debris such a big risk, be extra vigilant and help prevent the need for 999 today
Beds Police said: “High winds are set to continue this morning. Please be careful and drive to the conditions #drivetoarrive.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 7 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 10 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
And Herts Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: “Numerous calls to trees down over the roadway overnight, we will only attend such incidents if there are persons involved or trapped”
If you see a fallen tree blocking the road in Herts call Highways on 0300 1234047.