GALLERY: Keeping cool during heatwave
- Credit: Archant
THE Met Office has issued a Level 3 heatwave alert for South East England - one away from a national emergency - today (Wednesday).
The alert requires social and healthcare services to target specific actions at high risk groups, such as the very young, very old, and those with chronic diseases.
Lister Hospital in Stevenage has already seen a small increase in the number of people attending A&E, mostly children.
Temperatures have reached 29?c today (Wednesday) in Comet country, with the Met Office forecasting highs of 26?c on Friday, 23?c on Saturday and 25?c on Sunday.
People have been doing their best to keep cool, with visitors to the outdoor pools increasing up to six-fold on last year.
Between July 1 and 16, there have been 6,051 swims in Letchworth outdoor pool, compared to 1,065 during the same period last year.
In Hitchin, where the outdoor and indoor pool figures are combined, there have been 28,145 swims during this period, compared to 24,063 last year.
- 1 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 2 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
• The hottest temperature ever recorded in the UK was 38.5C. This was recorded in Faversham, Kent on August 10, 2003
• The average maximum temperature for July is 20.9C in England
• 2011 was the coldest summer since 1993
• 1976 is the hottest summer on record with temperatures of 26.7C or higher every day between June 22 and July 16
• Today the mercury is set to hit 28C in Ibiza and 27C in Los Angeles
• 20C is the hottest it is likely to get in Sydney over the next 24 hours but they are at the start of their winter