‘We want patients to be captivated’ – Stevenage students unveil Lister Hospital artwork
- Credit: Archant
More than 18 months of hard work has paid off for students whose artwork was unveiled at Lister Hospital yesterday.
The big reveal took place in the Stevenage hospital’s new emergency department, with children due to be treated there for the first time tomorrow.
A whole term of curriculum time for a range of year groups at the John Henry Newman School in Hitchin Road has been devoted to the project, which has been run in conjunction with the East and North Herts NHS Trust.
All the artwork has a community theme, with Stevenage’s landscape, numbers and status as a new town all brought into focus.
Teacher Ruth Fuller said: “We wanted the work to be captivating so that patients who were waiting to be seen by the hospital’s doctors and nurses might be intrigued by the work; that they might ask questions about it and, on reflection, realise what our young artists had been working on.
You may also want to watch:
“We are so pleased to have been invited to develop ideas for this wonderful hospital, which does so much for so many. We are delighted that the staff appreciate the value that visual language has on the space in which we all live and work. We hope everyone who uses the hospital feels uplifted by the work.”
David Brewer, head of engagement for the NHS Trust, said: “Over the last few years, we’ve worked hard to build relationships with a wide range of community groups and organisations, especially schools. This project with John Henry Newman School has been particularly exciting as not only has it allowed these young people to understand more about the Lister Hospital and the work of its staff, we now have their artwork on display for everyone to see.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“This project has been a great example of our award-winning approach to youth engagement that has seen young people contribute their ideas and perspectives to hospital projects.”