We played Newcastle off the park - Winn
Goalscorer delighted with Toon performance
PETER Winn said he thinks Stevenage played Newcastle United ‘off the park’ in their FA Cup triumph at the weekend.
The front man put the gloss on an outstanding performance with a goal in injury time to make it 3-1 to Boro and after the game Winn said his side deserved to go through to the fourth round, where Graham Westley’s men will host Reading later this month.
“I’m still trying to figure out how I’ve scored, how well everyone in the team played,” Winn said.
“For me that’s the best performance I’ve put in for a long time. I felt good to put in that performance.
You may also want to watch:
“We were stronger, more physical and a lot fitter than them, and I think we played them off the park. I don’t think they had a sniff.
“They had one shot which was Joey Barton’s which went in, but that’s about it that I can recall. The rest were blocked or went wide. As a team we’re happy they didn’t really get a sniff at goal.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Winn scored late on when he chipped the ball over Toon ‘keeper Tim Krul but had a chance earlier in the game when he got into a similar position only to be tackled just as he went to strike the ball.
“The ball was played in by [John} Mousinho and I’ve made a run off the shoulder. I saw Tim Krul come off the line and I thought the only way I’m going to score is if I lift it over and I’ve got enough height on it into the net. I had no idea what to do after that and just went crazy.
“The ball where I was clean through on goal and Wayne Routledge came through and tackled me, I didn’t know he was there. I thought I’d had acres of space and I’d scuffed it. As long as I’ve got a goal and the team’s played well, though, I’m happy.”