We make errors in defence - but so do Liverpool
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage manager Graham Westley says no club is immune from mistakes at the back
Even Liverpool make mistakes at the back said Boro boss Graham Westley when assessing his side’s defensive errors against Leyton Orient on Tuesday evening.
Boro allowed Orient too much room for Moses Odubajo’s opening goal before carelessly giving the ball away when passing in their own area for goal number two with just 23 minutes on the clock at the Matchroom Stadium.
Talking about the mistake that led to the second goal, the Stevenage boss said: “We’re trying to encourage the lads to develop their play to much more of an extent and it’s almost inevitable when you’re trying to build more play from the back.
“You’ve seen it from the top level with the Liverpools of this world making very basic errors at the back and perhaps players who aren’t in their comfort zone getting into bad positions and making bad decisions, and when that happens you have got to be big enough to turn around and say we all want to see a better brand of football from the team.
You may also want to watch:
“I think they did work the ball much better on a whole than they have done in many of our performances in past weeks and for that you have got to look at Jones’ block at the end and say ‘well done’ rather then the misplaced pass that ended up conceding the goal.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn