‘We get a good reception from regulars’ – Hitchin church uses pub as new hub
- Credit: Archant
Church uses pub hub
Members of a Hitchin church have been sitting on a different kind of pew for their meetings in a bid to attract new blood.
The Hub Church was set up in 2011 as an informal forum for open debate and discussion.
The congregation has regular meetings and hosted a Christmas jumper Sunday event at the town’s Sun Hotel.
Church leader Dan Drew, who is training to become a priest in the Church of England, said: “We just noticed some of our friends in their 20s started asking questions about faith. We are a fresh expression of faith for people in their 20s and 30s and meet in pubs to debate various topics.
You may also want to watch:
“We act for people who want a bridge between church and faith.
“In the past we have had a James Bond-themed life questions special on 007 and philosophy, pool nights in Osinsky’s and had a welfare tent at Rhythms of the World.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
“We are not too preachy or judgmental and tend to get a good reception from pub regulars.
“We also embrace social media. We have even had Bishop Alan Smith of the Diocese of St Albans attend, with people tweeting questions to him. He was great and really bought into it.”
For more information visit www.thehubchurch.co.uk.