We didn’t follow the Wolves blueprint, says Obeng
- Credit: Archant
On-loan Swansea defender says Stevenage just didn’t show the same sort of spirit against Shrewsbury that was shown against the league leaders
Curtis Obeng says Stevenage struggled to match the attitude they showed against Wolves in their defeat at basement side Shrewsbury Town yesterday (Saturday).
Boro were more than a match for Kenny Jackett’s side at the Lamex Stadium on Tuesday, with a high-intensity pressing game stifling the league leaders and earning Stevenage a point in their battle against the drop.
However, at the Greenhous Meadow stadium on Saturday Boro put in a poor first-half performance and struggled to take the game to their opponents who, with their 1-0 win, dumped Graham Westley side back to the bottom of the League 1 table.
Speaking afterwards Obeng, who began the game at right-back before moving into midfield after a change in formation due to an injury to Darius Charles, said: “It’s a disappointing [result]. We didn’t do enough, we didn’t do what we needed to do to get the result.
You may also want to watch:
“We got better as the game went along but unfortunately the ball just wouldn’t drop for us in the areas we needed it to. The start we made wasn’t good enough.
“Every game is pretty much a must-win game. It is within us. It’s not a task that we can’t do.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“We showed a lot of good spirit in the Wolves game and it’s unfortunate that for whatever the reason the attitude [against Shrewsbury] wasn’t the same.
“We’ve got the quality in the team and the mentality that we can do what we need to do going into the next game and show the spirit we need [to win].”