Warnings over telephone scam
- Credit: Archant
RESIDENTS are being warned against a telephone scam.
Central Bedfordshire Trading Standards has received reports of people being contacted by cold callers claiming to be calling from the Telephone Preference Service.
The caller, using a withheld telephone number, offers to stop all nuisance calls for a one off payment of £70 or a monthly cost of £4.75.
The caller also claims to be able to send a device that plugs into the telephone wall socket and will stop all international nuisance calls.
A spokesman for Trading Standards said: “These telephone calls have all the hallmarks of a scam. The Telephone Preference Service is a free service and you can stop unsolicited and marketing calls by registering your telephone number with TPS, by called 0845 070 0707 or visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
You may also want to watch:
“Our advice is to always act with caution when receiving any type of cold call. Never provide your personal or bank account details to anybody over the telephone unless you are absolutely sure of their intentions.
“Never be intimidated into making a quick decision and always take a moment to ask yourself whether the offer is genuine. If you do have doubts, then do not be afraid to end the call by hanging up.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine