Warning over council officer impersonator scammers in Hitchin
MEMBERS of the public are being warned to remain vigilant, after a man and a woman knocked on doors in Hitchin, falsely claiming to be fitting solar panels on behalf of the council.
The incidents, which happened on Monday evening, saw a man and a woman knocking on doors in Wilshere Crescent, claiming they were installing the panels.
One of the households became suspicious and reported the matter to North Hertfordshire Homes (NHH), which subsequently alerted North Herts District Council (NHDC) and Herts Police.
Both NHDC and NHH have confirmed that they are not going door-to-door making any such offer.
Cllr Bernard Lovewell, NHDC portfolio holder for housing and environmental health, said: “It seems that these people are going around impersonating council officers in order to try and gain the trust of people.
You may also want to watch:
“We are not certain what their precise motives are, but it does seem to be clear that some kind of scam is going on.”
If anyone encounters someone claiming to be from the council making this, or any other kind, of offer, they should report it to NHDC and contact Herts Police on the non-emergency number 101.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
North Herts Safer Neighbourhoods Inspector Jason Thorne said: “If you have any concerns about people acting suspiciously in your neighbourhood, don’t hesitate to report it by calling 101. If you suspect a crime is in the process of being committed, always ring 999.
“If it is a legitimate company canvassing, then they won’t mind us checking their credentials. Hitchin is a safe place to live and work, but we would always advise residents to follow our general advice.”