Walkern witch brought back to life
A NEW theatre company is calling for volunteers to get involved in a production which will tell the story of the trial for witchcraft of Jane Wenham of Walkern.
This year is the 300th anniversary of the notorious trial which resulted in Jane becoming the last person to be condemned to death as a witch in England.
The Last Witch will highlight the events in Walkern that led to Jane being prosecuted by Sir Henry Chauncy, the controversial trial in Hertford which attracted coachloads of sightseers from London, and the political and media storm that followed the guilty verdict.
Pins & Feathers Productions wants to make this a unique community event and is calling for people to get involved.
“We want actors and people to help out backstage with stage management, lighting and so on,” said the show’s producer Kate Miller.
You may also want to watch:
“We need people to help with finding or making the period costumes and we would love to hear from any musicians who would like to get involved.
“No experience is required. You would be working with a professional director and professional actors, so if you are interested in the theatre this would be a great experience.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“We are particularly keen to have young people involved.”
The director is notable TV and film actor Richard Syms, who has appeared most recently in The Iron Lady and Johnny English Reborn.
The Last Witch will be performed at the Hertford Theatre Studio from June 13 to 16 and there will be outdoor performances in Walkern on June 23 and 24.
If you would like to get involved in any way, email Kate at email@example.com