Wait no more – Godot is coming to Hitchin!
- Credit: Archant
Amateur dramatic society The Bancroft Players will present Samuel Beckett’s seminal play Waiting for Godot at Hitchin’s Queen Mother Theatre next week.
Act one: Two characters wait endlessly and in vain for the arrival of Godot. During their wait they converse on everything and nothing.
Pozzo and Lucky entertain them. A boy arrives and tells them Godot will not be coming today.
Act two: The next day. The same. But different.
Beckett’s masterpiece has been variously described as ‘a play where nothing happens. Twice’ – and ‘the most important play in the English language.’
You may also want to watch:
Director Martyn Jolly said: “The themes of Waiting for Godot are universal – the absurdity of our existence, our habits and the freedom we have to do anything but ultimately we must answer to ourselves.
“I’ve designed this production to bring a clarity and immediacy to a timeless, loved and much studied classic – to make its characters and their actions relevant to the audience.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“The staging of this piece is very restricted by the Beckett estate, but I have worked hard with the design team and the cast to bring meaning, comedy and intimacy to a fantastic piece of writing.”
For a funny and thought provoking evening, whether you are familiar with the play or not, book your ticket today.
You can buy tickets online at www.qmt.org.uk, or call 01462 455166.
Adults tickets are £10, with children, students and senior citizens costing £8 each.
Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot runs from Wednesday, November 2, to Saturday, November 5, at the Queen Mother Theatre in Walsworth Road.