Vow to continue fighting after scrapyard High Court appeal rejected
A HIGH court appeal held to determine whether a controversial waste recycling plant should have restrictions imposed on it has been lost.
The appeal, launched following the planning inspectorate’s decision not to impose any restrictions on Metal and Waste Recycling Ltd in Wallace Way, Hitchin, was heard at the Royal Courts of Justice in London yesterday (Tuesday).
The appeal was lodged by Herts County Council (HCC), and supported by North Herts District Council (NHDC) and residents. All oppose the large number of daily HGV movements to and from the site.
Councillors in support of the appeal voiced their disappointment after the announcement that it was unsuccessful was made this afternoon (Wednesday), but vowed they would continue to fight.
“They [Metal and Waste] have had no respect for us so far. I am absolutely gutted by this result,” said Cllr Lisa Courts, who has always supported the campaign.
“I’m mortified that businesses like that can be allowed to destroy people’s lives. I’m a resident that lives here, and I feel absolutely let down by the judicial system. It has given us a life sentence.”
Cllr Paul Clark added: “We are very disappointed. The residents have been very badly let down by the judicial system.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
“It seems the company can just bulldoze the lives of residents. It has come as a shock. The feeling was the judge seemed to be listening what our QC was saying.
“Obviously, it does not stop here. Residents should not have to suffer. We are not giving up, there is no way. We are going to fight on, as long as it takes.”
At the time of going to press, it was not known why the appeal was unsuccessful. A report will be published in due course, explaining the reasons.
HCC said it would examine the decision, and comment later this week.
NHDC also said it would look at the details further. Cllr Bernard Lovewell, portfolio holder for Housing and Environmental Health, added: “We are disappointed with the High Court’s decision to reject the appeal and understand that this will leave many local residents feeling extremely frustrated and upset.
“We do however need to see the details of the decision from the High Court before commenting further.”