Voters prepare to elect two new Hitchin councillors
- Credit: Archant
VOTERS will go to the polls this week to elect two new councillors.
County and district council by-elections are being held in Hitchin on Thursday, when candidates from five political parties will contest two seats.
County council division Hitchin North and North Herts district ward Hitchin Oughton are both currently empty. They were formerly held by Cllr David Billing, who lost his battle with a long illness in July.
Cllr Billing’s wife, Judi, who is already a district councillor for Hitchin Bearton, is standing for her husband’s county council seat alongside fellow district councillors Lisa Courts (Lib Dem) and Alan Millard (Conservative), Green Party candidate Gavin Nicholson, and UKIP’s John Barry.
The Hitchin Oughton seat is being contested by Lib Dem Clare Body, UKIP’s Peter Croft, Jacqueline Greatorex from the Green Party, Conservative candidate Mara Macseoinin and Labour Party’s Frank Radcliffe.
You may also want to watch:
Postal votes were sent out last week.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 5 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town
- 9 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire