Vote now to help Hertfordshire hedgehogs
- Credit: Archant
Every autumn, wildlife and garden supplier Ark Wildlife finds itself overrun with hedgehog rescuers in need of supplies to help them care for late-born hedgehogs too small to survive the winter.
Ark Wildlife director Sean McMenemy said: “A lot of these carers found us, and were asking: ‘Can you help? Can you help?’ So we put our heads together.”
The answer they came up with was the Ark Hedgehog Heroes BIG Giveaway, now in its fifth year.
The giveaway allows hedgehog rescuers to be nominated and then voted for by the general public.
Ark Wildlife, based in Hitchin, donates £2,500 worth of hedgehog food, which is split between the hedgehog carers proportionally according to how many votes they have received. The carer with the most votes – and thousands have already been cast – receives vouchers and hedgehog supplies worth £500.
You may also want to watch:
Sean said: “All the carers nominated into the scheme will get free donations from us. We can promote the work they do and raise awareness with the public to keep an eye out for the small hedgehogs.
Hedgehogs born late in autumn often do not survive the winter because they have not put on enough body weight to survive hibernation. Hedgehogs weighing less than 600 grams – the guidance is that means they are smaller than an orange – are often in danger and should be reported to a hedgehog carer.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
One hedgehog hero who has been nominated in the giveaway is Rachel Yarworth from Stevenage.
Known as ‘The Hogmother’, Rachel has been rescuing hedgehogs for three years and has so far cared for 28 animals.
Rachel said: “The food provided by Ark would be a huge help to get my current patients through the winter as I am mainly self-funded with the occasional donation from members of the public.
“So many people have no idea what to do if they see a hedgehog out in the day, or injured ones. It not only improves the support provided to the carers, but hopefully also raises the profile of the hedgehogs themselves.” Voting closes at the end of this week, but you can still get involved at www.arkwildlife.co.uk/heroes.