Volunteers wanted to help elderly
ARE you a wizard at whist, a passable piano player or crafty with cards, scissors or a needle and sewing thread? If you are, you may be just the person to help at a social club for the elderly. The Howard Gardens Social Centre in Letchworth GC, which runs
ARE you a wizard at whist, a passable piano player or crafty with cards, scissors or a needle and sewing thread? If you are, you may be just the person to help at a social club for the elderly.
The Howard Gardens Social Centre in Letchworth GC, which runs a day care centre from Monday to Friday, is looking for people to help entertain the members.
It also needs drivers to make sure the elderly can get there.
The long-established centre, in Norton Way South, provides a two-course cooked meal for less than £3 as well as tea, toast and a variety of activities including bingo.
It is run largely by volunteers who include a man of 80 who washes up and helps to prepare vegetables.
"It is a brilliant centre," said chairman Lorna Kercher who cooks lunch once a week.
- 1 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 2 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 3 Luke Turley: 'I was told to be a hitter not a tripper'
- 4 August 2022 weekend closure planned for A602 near Watton-at-Stone
- 5 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 6 Van 'tactically stopped' on A1(M) after alleged attempted vehicle theft
- 7 Deserved win for Stevenage over Stockport says Steve Evans but it was definitely in doubt
- 8 Music festival Old Town Live set to return with stages in High Street and venues across Stevenage Old Town
- 9 Thameslink suffers 'staff shortage' with weekend disruption planned
- 10 Player ratings: Who stood out as Stevenage beat Stockport County?
"We've got a lot of good people down there but we just need some extra activities and some drivers with cars to make sure everyone who wants to go can get there.
"We have an arts and craft group but we need people to help with a few more activities so we can offer more for the members to do.
"It would be nice to get someone who can play the piano or would like to have a game of whist or Scrabble with the members. It would be nice to start a line dancing group or gardening and we could open in the evenings if there was enough demand."
If you would like to volunteer or want details about being a member, call Mrs Kercher on 01462 677110 or the Howard Gardens Social Centre organisers Jean Loynes and Lyn Stoker on 01462 682524.