Volunteer drivers wanted to help elderly with hospital appointments
VOLUNTEER drivers are needed to help boost a new scheme to help elderly and disabled people get to hospital. The Leonard Cheshire Hospital Escort Scheme, which is free to all Leonard Cheshire service users and other disabled and elderly people, will help
VOLUNTEER drivers are needed to help boost a new scheme to help elderly and disabled people get to hospital.
The Leonard Cheshire Hospital Escort Scheme, which is free to all Leonard Cheshire service users and other disabled and elderly people, will help patients get to their appointments at Lister Hospital.
The volunteers will be asked to take the patients to hospital, remain with them throughout the process, and return them home.
The service covers Stevenage and volunteers will be reimbursed fuel expenses and money for lunch should it be required.
You may also want to watch:
They should be under the age of 75 and will undertake a full induction and training prior to the commencement of the service, which will run weekdays during normal office hours.
Wendy Sander, volunteer coordinator for Leonard Cheshire, said: "Poor public transport and the busy environment of hospitals can make hospital visits very stressful. Many of our clients can end up missing their hospital appointments.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 7 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
"We are urgently looking for friendly people, with spare time and who enjoy driving, to help out with our hospital escort service.
"All volunteers need their own car, full driving licence, MoT and insurance that covers the purpose."
Anybody interested in volunteering should contact Mrs Sander on 01462 439020 or email her at email@example.com