Villagers net football world record
- Credit: Archant
VILLAGERS have netted a world record after turning out in droves for a 24 hour five-a-side football game.
Pirton residents Philip and Ashling Turner organised the tournament, which attracted 557 players – a new world record, if verified.
People turned out for last Saturday and Sunday’s game at Pirton Recreation Ground, with the oldest player a 93-year-old woman and the youngest three-years-old.
When the final whistle blew at 9am on Sunday, the score was 350-207.
“It was fantastic, and the community support was absolutely incredible,” said Mr Turner.
You may also want to watch:
“We managed to break the record at about 8.45am on Sunday morning, it was very touch and go. There was a great atmosphere towards the end.”
Evidence has been sent to Guinness World Records, which will decide if the record should officially stand.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
Sponsorship raised from the event – estimated to be about £3,000 – will be donated to Alzheimer’s Research UK.
Visit www.5asideworldrecordattempt.com to donate.