Villagers’ book is more than a run of the mill tale
- Credit: Archant
A group of villagers are publishing a book which documents the history of three mills.
The Mills of Ickleford gives an insight into the history and stories behind West Mill, Ickleford Mill and Hyde Mill.
The book, which will be published by Ickleford Parish Council, has been compiled by seven volunteers from the Hyde Mill Group and features research of each mill, historic maps, photographs, paintings and sketches by artists.
It also includes memories of those who have used the mills.
The group’s research took more than four years following advice and support from Hitchin Historical Society, Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, and North Herts District Council’s museum services.
You may also want to watch:
Parish councillor and group representative Colin Thurstance said: “It is the first time the parish council has published a book. It is a portrayal of history of all three of the mills.
“All the information has been pulled together and will be around for a long time.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
The book will contain more than 110 pages and is available at a pre-publication discount price of £9.99 – plus £2.50 postage and packing per copy – for orders placed before September 1.
The book will go on general sale for £11.99 at a launch event in Ickleford village hall on November 15.
For order forms, visit the website at www.icklefordpc.com.