Village Blockbuster one of 160 stores to close
- Credit: Archant
A BLOCKBUSTER in Comet country is one of 160 stores which will close after the business went into administration.
The DVD rental firm’s Henlow Camp store will shut “in the next few weeks”, according to a spokesman working on behalf of adminstrator Deloitte.
The number of jobs at risk at the store in Hitchin Road has not been revealed by either party, although an average of five staff work across each of Blockbuster’s 528 shops in the UK.
At present there are no plans to close stores in Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth GC.
Lee Manning, joint administrator at Deloitte, said: “Having reviewed the portfolio with management, the store closure plan is an inevitable consequence of having to restructure the company to a profitable core which is capable of being sold. We would like to thank the company’s employees for their support and professionalism during this difficult time. We are also grateful to the customers for their continued support.”
You may also want to watch:
Gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster’s trade-in will continue to be honoured.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 3 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030