Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth communities send heartwarming #ClapForTheNHS message
- Credit: Archant
Like much of the UK, the Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock communities came together last night to applaud our carers, healthcare workers, nurses and doctors and everyone else battling the coronavirus outbreak.
Across the country, people gathered from their front doors, windows, living rooms, balconies and gardens to show their appreciation to everyone on the frontline at 8pm last night.
Your videos showed raucous applause in Oakfields Close and Southwark Close in Stevenage, Bursland and Warren Close in Letchworth, and in parts of Bedford Road and Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin.
Knebworth House shared a heartwarming picture online of the stately home entirely in blue, with the message ‘Thank you NHS’.
All through the night, your messages of support could be heard – alongside the wolf whistling, cheering and clanging of pots and pans in places.
You may also want to watch:
One resident, who lives in Bedford Road, Hitchin, described the event as “wonderful”, and said she had “never seen anything like it”.
Another, commenting on Facebook, said the “emotional” event brought her to tears.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
Nick Carver, chief executive of East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, said: “We would like to say a big thank you to every person who joined in with #ClapForOurCarers last night.
“Our staff are working extremely hard to keep our patients safe, and knowing we have the support of our community behind us means so much.”
If you would like to share your pictures/videos of the #ClapForTheNHS, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the latest information on coronavirus, follow our liveblog at thecomet.net