Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth communities send heartwarming #ClapForTheNHS message
- Credit: Archant
Like much of the UK, the Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock communities came together last night to applaud our carers, healthcare workers, nurses and doctors and everyone else battling the coronavirus outbreak.
Across the country, people gathered from their front doors, windows, living rooms, balconies and gardens to show their appreciation to everyone on the frontline at 8pm last night.
Your videos showed raucous applause in Oakfields Close and Southwark Close in Stevenage, Bursland and Warren Close in Letchworth, and in parts of Bedford Road and Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin.
Knebworth House shared a heartwarming picture online of the stately home entirely in blue, with the message ‘Thank you NHS’.
All through the night, your messages of support could be heard – alongside the wolf whistling, cheering and clanging of pots and pans in places.
One resident, who lives in Bedford Road, Hitchin, described the event as “wonderful”, and said she had “never seen anything like it”.
Another, commenting on Facebook, said the “emotional” event brought her to tears.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 8 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Nick Carver, chief executive of East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, said: “We would like to say a big thank you to every person who joined in with #ClapForOurCarers last night.
“Our staff are working extremely hard to keep our patients safe, and knowing we have the support of our community behind us means so much.”
If you would like to share your pictures/videos of the #ClapForTheNHS, please send them to email@example.com
For the latest information on coronavirus, follow our liveblog at thecomet.net