VIDEO: Travellers leave Letchworth after occupying empty industrial unit
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers who have been occupying an empty industrial unit have been evicted today (Thursday).
Numerous police officers and bailiffs attended as the group – consisting of about 10 caravans and numerous cars and vans – left the site on Avenue One in Letchworth GC.
The travellers arrived on the site – formerly used as the BT Engage building – on April 30.
Occupying an industrial unit is a civil offence under common law and the travellers can only be forced off the site if the owner obtains an interim possession order (IPO), giving occupiers 24 hours to leave or face breaking the law.
It is unclear if an IPO has been obtained or under what grounds they were being evicted on as the Comet has so far unable to locate the owners of the building.
You may also want to watch:
Herts Police said they attended the site while bailiffs evicted the travellers.
The last vehicle left the site just before 3pm.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome