Video: Police hunt arson gang
POLICE are hunting a gang of youths in connection with an arson attack at a shopping precinct. The youths were caught on CCTV at The Oval in Stevenage before a fire in a public telephone box was reported. Police want to speak to the two youths pictured a
POLICE are hunting a gang of youths in connection with an arson attack at a shopping precinct.
The youths were caught on CCTV at The Oval in Stevenage before a fire in a public telephone box was reported.
Police want to speak to the two youths pictured and others in connection with the incident.
Officers received a call just before 11pm on Sunday, January 6, to say there were four male youths acting suspiciously.
The offenders are believed to have gone into a British Telecom phone box situated outside the Somerfield store and smashed the screen on the telephone before setting fire to items in the phone box.
When firefighters attended the scene the offenders had already run away and thick black smoke was billowing from the top of the phone box.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 7 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 10 Still more to come too says Brett Donnelly as Stotfold's title challenge is given a boost
One fire crew from Stevenage attended the scene and put the flames out within 10 minutes.
One of the offenders was described as wearing a black Nike hooded top.
A Herts Police spokesman said: "We want to speak to these people in connection with the incident. It appears that it was an isolated incident - the area is not usually considered as a hotspot for anti-social behaviour."
Pc Sally Hazell who is based at Stevenage Police Station would like to speak to anyone who may know anything about the incident.
She can be contacted on 0845 33 00 222.
* This was one of two arson attacks that have taken place in the area in the last month. The arson taskforce at Herts County Council says this is "below average".