VIDEO: Over 40 and still on the ball? Then sign up to play in Guillem’s football tournament being held tomorrow evening...
- Credit: Archant
If you’re over 40 but you don’t want to hang up your football boots, then Sky Sports pundit Guillem Balague could have a place for you in his senior five-a-side tournament being held tomorrow night.
After setting up a special weekly session for players of more mature years just before Christmas, he’s since seen numbers surge – which prompted him to set up tomorrow special evening’s knock-out competition at The Arena in Baldock from 7pm.
Guillem, who lives in Hitchin said: “I wanted to be part of the community and I miss my football, so I thought: ‘Let’s play some football’.
“The problem was playing against youngsters who ran rings round us!
“We then decided to set up an over 40s Friday night team. The reaction was immediate, and we’ve now got more than 20 players.
You may also want to watch:
“We play every Friday from 8pm to 9.30pm and then all have a beer afterwards – it’s a wonderful night out.
“Because of our ages, and the size of the pitch, there’s lots of space so you get time on the ball. There are fitness benefits of playing regular football, and of course there’s the camaraderie.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“We’ve a very committed set of guys, and are growing all the time – which is why we’ve decided to hold a five-a-side tournament next week.
“I’m so passionate about our Friday nights that I’ve had three trips to Spain on football business recently, and have managed to arrange return flights just to play here. We want as many teams as possible to compete.”
One of the regular players for the Friday night slot at The Arena is Justin Start, also from Hitchin.
He said: “My wife saw a Comet article asking for over 40s to play in Guillem’s league. She even cut it out for me so I could read it.
“When I saw it I thought: ‘That’s for me’. I recently gave up smoking and wanted to get a bit fitter.
“I used to see young lads play football and wanted to play again after 20 years. It’s great fun in a great atmosphere – I’d encourage anyone to come along!”
If you want to play in Guillem’s tournament simply turn up tomorrow with your kit and suitable footwear for playing on artificial turf at The Arena in Norton Road, Baldock, from 7pm.